You are here

7/07/15 Planning Future Rides

Submitted by Jacob on Thu, 07/09/2015 - 00:00

Everything is going well. Yesterday was a good day, beginning with a visit to the Center for Communication Hearing and Deafness. I spoke with 4 deaf parents of children, and one little girl with hearing loss. After that, I got the oil changed in the CRV for the second and final time. I took a nap and didn’t do too much in between the Brewers game.

I met a lot of amazing folks at the Brewers game. Dr. Voster was a pleasure to talk with; he received his implant 5 months ago and has been doing very well with it. He rides about 3,000 miles a year just with commuting alone, so we had a lot in common to talk about. I also talked to Joe Mack, who rode in the Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) last year, and who I will be exchanging e-mails with in the future, for planning.

After the Minor League Ride is over this year, I will begin planning next year’s ride. I’m going to be doing the Minor League Ride year after year, and next year I hope to accommodate 20-30 cyclists, with full support. I’ve been telling everybody about this, and it’s exciting going forward.

From riding 10,500 miles, to doing a 3,800 mile cross-country trip, to doing a 300 mile minor league tour… I’m really scaling everything down to a size where I can do a lot of the behind-the-scenes work myself and really begin to grow this thing close to home. Taking off only 1 week from work every year rather than 2-6 months will be good. If RAGBRAI can get 8,500 cyclists a year, I’m sure the Home Run For Hearing Ride can get up to a few hundred in two years’ time.

But on to today. Today Amy and her friend Heidi were my drivers, and we killed it. I made it 86 miles from Gurney IL to Wheeler IN. It was a tough situation, since we did not get home from the game until 11:30 at night, and we had a long drive to the starting location. But I was helped tremendously by the lake effect as I made my way down, and around, Lake Michigan. Winds were gusting 45 mph on the lake, and more than 20 mph sustained wind on the mainland. It stopped helping a lot as I made my way through Gary Indiana and began heading east rather than south, but still a good day. We had to end a little bit early to pick up my father from the airport, who will be here through Friday, when Dean comes into Cleveland.

Huge thank you to everybody involved…